It’s awards season in Hollywood and also in Abbey House! God and Uncle Sam, written by our own Michael Ramsay Professor of Anglican Studies Michael Snape, has just been nominated for Best Academic Title for 2015 by the American Library Association. The criteria for nominations are:
- overall excellence in presentation and scholarship
- importance relative to other literature in the field
- distinction as a first treatment of a given subject in book or electronic form
- originality or uniqueness of treatment
- value to undergraduate students
- importance in building undergraduate library connections.
When told of Professor Snape’s accomplishment, Head of Department Lewis Ayres said, ‘We are delighted that Mike Snape’s God and Uncle Sam has been nominated as a Choice Outstanding Academic Title. Mike arrived in Durham only recently, and yet we all recognized immediately that he possesses the very best sort of academic mind – creative and lively, while being of the highest scholarly calibre. This really shines through in his writing, and it is wonderful to see him receiving this wider recognition.’
Congratulations on your nomination, Mike!